Sunday, August 10, 2014

Mada Laundry

I'm excited to share a little about laundry in Madagascar...it's EVERYWHERE!!  When we first got here, I thought people were laying out clothes to sell by the side of the road, but I soon learned that this is the preferred/main method of clothes drying :) 





You may have a washing station near where you live (like this one
and the one above).
Or you may be close enough to a water station so you can bring
water to your home.
If neither of those is an option, you will be washing in a
stream, a lake, or a river!  (not the cleanest water)









After washing, begins the drying!  You may have a clothesline.





If not, a fence will work.

Then it is the ground, a roof, your house, a business, the trees,
or wherever there is space available.












Headed to the local washing river.  Doing laundry is a social
event and it is fun to see all the women and girls working
and enjoying one anthers company as they talk and laugh!













I really enjoy learning how things are done is the wonderful country I am now living in!  I am blessed to have a small dryer, but when the weather is warmer, I look forward to hanging some of my clothes on a drying rack on my balcony :)  I will be sure to post a picture!

1 comment:

  1. This laundry thing is so interesting. And you have identified the important social element. Do homes have electricity for other things? Is there a prioritizing?

    ReplyDelete